Friday, September 11, 2009

PCAGOE Color Challenge – I tied for THIRD Place!



In addition to my membership in my local guild – Central Mississippi Polymer Clay Guild – I am a member of the Polymer Clay Artists Guild of Etsy. Every month we have a challenge for the members. Our challenge for last month was Color Combinations and the membership voted on the colors.

As you can see from the picture with the color wheel, we picked some interesting colors! In addition to the three colors selected - 1) Blue-Violet, 2) Blue-Green and 3) Yellow-Orange, you could add your choice of one more color.
The first step in the challenge was to mix the colors to match the colorwheel. Polymer clay comes in a wide range of colors right out of the package but to get these particular shades, you had to do a bit of mixing. Then you had to decide what color to add. I chose white and was able to pull a cane from my new borderless canes collection that fit the yellow-orange color beautifully. I used the blue-green for my leaves and made flowers with the blue-violet. I then took the white, mixed it with some of the blue-violet and blue-green to make a really nice marbled background. The addition of texture finished the look. I initially had planned to cover a picture frame but I had used the last one I had on hand, so I grabbed a small tin. Worked great!

Apparently I wasn't the only one who thought so because it tied for 3rd place in the monthly challenge. These votes come from around the world and are not just our guild members! YEA! This is the first time my challenge piece has placed so I'm thrilled. Plus the fact that somebody saw it on Flickr, contacted me and purchased it! It should be in it's new home in New Jersey by now!

Our challenge for this month is a design based on a painting by a favorite artist…

1 comment:

Alice Stroppel said...

Congratulations, it's a beautiful combination of the colors.