Friday, October 9, 2009

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!


I was reading an email this morning from a friend in Denver who said it was snowing! In October! Now those of you who live in the more northerly areas can't appreciate this, but for this Mississippi girl, snow is a phenonomen! We just don't see much of it. We did have a snow storm earlier this year, either January or February, can't remember right now -- that actually put enough snow on the ground for my grandkids to make a snowman. Here in the deep south, it's shirt-sleeve weather quite often until the end of the year! So the only way to guarantee snow for Christmas is to make it yourself! So, this year I'm making mirrowed snowflakes.

These are so much fun to make and the addition of the mirror in the middle just adds to the sparkle. Small teardrop beads add just a touch of color -- and yes, more sparkle! Some of the snowflakes are left snowy white, while I'm antiquing others using an aging glaze to bring out the details. If you want to send a bit of snow to one of your friends who, like me, are snow deprived, here's the perfect solution. You can order direct from me at arlene.harrison(at)gmail.com and specify the color (white or antiqued) and the bead color or check out what's available in my Etsy store.

I'm thinking about posting a tutorial on how to do these snowflakes to the blog. Anyone interested?

No comments: