Monday, March 29, 2010

An amazing new technique

Last week I was clicking around on some of my favorite sites and ran across a new technique developed by Tina Holden.  I fell in love with the look and had to purchase the tutorial.  I had a great time playing with it and made several pendants. 

Here is a picture of the one that I've actually got finished, beading and all!  I just listed it in my Etsy shop in case you're looking for something unusual and different for spring.  The colors turned out just absolutely lovely, if I do say so myself. 

At a recent Gem and Mineral show in Jackson, I picked up some small coral and jade beads which matched up beautifully with the faux batik look of the background.  I am loving this technique and I'm sure you will see more items done using it.

The shiny finish is a resin developed by Lisa Pavelka which works very well at protecting and enhancing the design. 

4 comments:

Marlene Brady said...

Christi Uliczny of www.rivervalleydesign.etsy.com was featured on Polymer Clay Daily with her tutorial on this technique quite a while ago. I purchased her tutorial and loved the look of the alcohol inks with the powders and leafing. Tina's seems similar, but I have not purchased her tutorial. Yours is gorgeous and is so well complimented by the beading!

Beadcomber said...

Thanks for posting this Arlene. Looks great!

"Its All About Creating"...this is not Christi's technique and is actually achieved quite differently. Personally, I don't even think they look the same and
the only two things the techniques have in common are clay and ink, lol.

Unknown said...

Isn't that the greatest thing about working with polymer clay? Two different artists both achieve remarkable but different techniques. I haven't tried Christi's technique but I know she has some beautiful pieces in her Etsy shop but knowing how Tina achieved her results, I don't see a lot of similarity. I follow Tina's blog and fell in love with her pieces before she ever made the tutorial available. I just think it is great when artists push the limits of our art form!

Penni Jo AKA Claylady43 said...

Beautiful! You've done a fabulous job with the technique and the beading.
PJ