Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Pull out the tiki torches, we're having a party!

I have five siblings – three brothers, two sisters – and a few years back, one of those sisters came up with the idea that we, the girls of the family, needed to set aside time in our busy lives to enjoy one another and to celebrate another year of life. So three times a year, spring, summer and fall, we have a birthday party.

Since it is sooooooooooooo hot in Mississippi this summer, we on decided a laua theme for the summer party this year. Think sandy beach, grass skirts, lots of colorful flowers and, of course, flamingos.
My job for this party is to create favors for each of the guests. Last summer I made some funky chicken, ladybug and butterfly plant stakes for my Etsy shop – because after all, every plant needs a friend, right? You can see some samples in the picture here and there are more in my Etsy shop -- and on sale this month!!! 

So what I'm thinking about for the favors for the party is flamingo plant stakes. I've done a bit of playing today – I'm here at my day job and my fingers are just itching to get into some clay – but here's my rough sketch, a compilation of clip art, ideas and my very rough drawing. Check back for the "in progress" and the "Fantasy Flamingos" – later in the week. The party is Saturday night… nothing like a deadline to get the creative juices going!

No comments: