Thursday, March 10, 2011

It’s not polymer clay… but

Other than revamping the studio, here’s what I’ve been working on lately. Back before I became addicted to polymer clay, I spent 30+ years honing my skills as a decorative painter. One of the categories in my portfolio was “Indoor/Outdoor Art”. This art is painted on a wooden “canvas” built by me in my workshop then sealed to withstand the rigors of being displayed outside. This art is designed to add a burst of color to an outside wall or fence and a special coating is added to keep the colors from fading.

A thick “medium” was piped on using cake decorating supplies then different sized paint brushes were used to create the raised detailing. Then the real fun began! The technique I used for this painting involved using multiple sheer layers of paint and glaze which gave it a rich “deep” look. The red flowers alone had a minimum of 5 colors and/or color mixes applied and I wish you could see it in person! Even I was impressed and I painted it!

I don’t do a lot of painting these days. This one was a custom order and I had a lot of fun doing it but I’m ready to get back to my polymer clay!

No comments: