Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Mosaics can be addictive!

I've always warned new comers to polymer clay that it can be addictive!  And my newest obsession is no exception.  This past weekend our local polymer clay guild (Central Mississippi Polymer Clay Guild) met and the focus of the meeting was making and using mosaic tiles. One of our members, Jennifer, had researched various techniques and shared with us three different “looks” using just black and white clay, rubber stamps, mica powders and acrylic paint.

Once we had a nice pile of tiles to choose from, we arranged the “focus” tiles in a pleasing manner and glued them down. Then we filled in with strips and tiles until our piece was finished. These mosaic pieces can be put into a frame or set up on a small easel for display or a hanger could be added for a different look.


I can definitely tell you that this is an addictive art form. My next project is going to be a wall hanging that will include my house number. I have a place on my front porch already picked out to hang it! Now if I can remember where I put all my butterfly stamps!!!

Some of the techniques we used were from the book "Mixed Media Mosaics: Projects Using Polymer Clay Tiles, Beads & Other Embellishments" by Laurie Mika which is available from Amazon.com. 

No comments: