Thursday, January 27, 2011
But I've got to say, the wait was worth it! The pictures I have here don't begin to show the beautiful shine these pieces have.
The square piece was made using a prefabricated bezel. The mokume gane polymer clay stack -- made with a custom-mixed teal and blue plus silver and white -- makes a beautiful pattern that perfectly matches one of my blouses.
Once I was happy with the design of the clay sheet, I measured and cut a piece to fit into the square of the bezel. After brushing the inside of the bezel lightly with Genesis, I carefully placed the clay and smoothed it all the way to the edges.
After the clay was cured and cooled, I added a fairly thick layer of resin and smoothed it out to the edges as well as I could. I do see where I'm going to need to add another thin layer and smooth the edges better. I see a few places where I did not get quite to the metal bezel.
These pieces are ready to be added to earwires for earrings. You can see some of the shine here but you can't really see how well it domes and how nice and clear it is. No yellowing that I can see. I love these little jewelry findings. They are perfect for adding a small pop of color.
Overall I was pleased with my first try at applying resin to my polymer clay projects. It is amazing the difference it gives a piece
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Friday, January 21, 2011
Well, any of you who work with polymer clay know that some work can be done pretty quickly while other things tend to require a fair amount of time and labor. I did accept the challenge and did about half of the ornaments with a smooth surfact that had to be sanded and buffed. The othe half I did using a fair amount of texture which cuts down considerably on the sanding and buffing! It was a good thing we had a holiday on Monday or I would have been burning some midnight oil for sure!