Monday, February 28, 2011

It's finally a studio again!!!

Since mid-January I've been working on a revamp of my studio.  Some of you who follow on Facebook have already seen the finished pictures but I thought I would share the progress.  I did good at taking pictures of the first three steps but got busy and forgot to take "in progress" shots after that but I think you'll get the idea:

The first step was to sand and paint the old waterbed base that was left over from about 15 years ago.  It's just been taking up space in the storage building and I needed something to "lift" the drawer units up so I wouldn't have to stand on my head to get items out of the bottom drawers.  Plus by using the waterbed base, I gained 4 good sized drawers.

I replaced the outdated drawer handles with some nice new antique copper ones.  I got the wrong kind of hinges for the doors so they will have to wait until I make another Home Depot run.

Then I ripped a piece of 3/4 inch plywood to fit the top and trimmed it out with 1 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch wood strips.  Picture 3 shows that in place.  I then covered the plywood with peel and stick vinyl tile.

The finished piece shows 3 Freds drawer units which are screwed together.  The next section is from an old tv cart that I've been using for scrap clay storage.  The shelves are just wide enough for plastic baskets to slide in.  I took the tv cart apart and used just the shelf portion.  You can see how this was previously used in this blog post:  The last section are the two cassette cabinets that I repurposed a while back to store my clay in. 

I ripped another piece of plywood, trimmed it out with the wood strips, painted it chocolate brown and covered it with the peel and stick vinyl.  This final piece gives it a nice finished look.

I'll share more on this studio rehab soon.

No comments: